I never thought I would be a “workout at home” person.
Ever. I LOVE the gym. I love the atmosphere and the variety of equipment and motivation I get from seeing others work so hard. But unfortunately, lately, I’ve been in a time crunch. Life has just gotten insane honestly. My full-time job has gotten busier, my husband is working full time and has gone back to school and we recently rescued a dog. All of these things of course on top of normal life things like cooking, cleaning, balancing family time and fun with friends has just made time for the gym nearly impossible. I am starting to fully understand how couples with kids have such little spare time now. So for now, I have dug out (and purchased) a few of my favorite at home/mobile pieces of workout gear. These gems, on top of lots of HIIT cardio, running, and plyometrics I can keep myself busy for months!
Here is my go-to, at-home equpiment and some of my favorite uses!
- Kettle Bells
- I love kettle bells because they’re multi-purpose. You can swing them or use them as dumbbells.
- Yoga Mat
- This is more a comfort thing. I’m not much of a yogie so I mostly use this when I’m doing abs or things that require me to kneel. It definately comes in handy!
- Stability Ball
- I mostly use this when I am doing an ab circuit or in replacement of a bench. It forces me to engage my core and its a really cheap addition to my gym.
- Resistance Bands
- These are perfect for creating lean, toned muscles from home. You totally don’t need weights to create muscle mass. Its all about having resistance. There is a million ways to use these, I just YouTub it!
- Resistance Band Loops
- These are my favorite for lower body work! Squats, lunges, donkey kicks, and tons more. These are a great way to add a little burn to your typical plyometric moves.
- Foam Roller
- We ALL know how important stretching and cool down is but we rarely ever take the time to do it. Having a foam roller allows me to relax, maybe watch a tv show or movie in the evenings and roll out my muscles. I have found it to be extremely effective in reducing my soreness.
- Ab Roller
- Again, just another inexpensive addition to my home gym. Mostly works abs and shoulders but it’s a fun little addition if I decide to do a “bootcamp” or circuit style workout.
- Jump Rope
- Awesome cardio, very portable! I discovered my love for the jumprope when I was traveling so much for work and needed lightweight workout equipment to bring with me. I could throw a jumprope and some resistance bands in my carry on and you can do a plyo workout in any parking lot or even some hotel rooms!
- Medicine Ball
- Med balls are great because you can use them for all areas of the body. Carry them over head during lunges, use them for pushup variations and even for abs. Versitile and they don’t take up a lot of space!
I would love to hear what you have in your home gym! I’m always looking to make fun new additions!